Art and Design
Art and Design
Subject Intent Statement:
At Bowmandale, we believe the arts are a fundamental part of children’s education. The subject has a significant role within the taught curriculum, offering many SMSC and enrichment opportunities within school and across our community. Effective teaching encourages critical thinking and growth mindset, all whilst developing a sound understanding of the visual language and visual elements of art and design.
The National Curriculum for Art and Design aims to ensure that all pupil across all key stages:
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
Early Years Foundation Stage
- Explore the textures, movement, feel and look of different media and materials
- Respond to a range of media and materials, develop their understanding of them in order to manipulate and create different effects.
- Use different media and materials to express their own ideas
- Explore colour and use for a particular purpose
- Develop skills to use simple tools and techniques competently and appropriately
- Select appropriate media and techniques and adapt their work where necessary
The children are given the opportunity to develop their creative and imaginative ideas, using a range of materials and techniques. Our high-quality art and design lessons include sculpture, mosaic and printing amongst many more medias and these are all taught in line with the year group’s termly topic. Children learn about the world of art, craft and design; they are taught to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They also learn how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our everyday lives.
Children are provided with the ownership of an Artbook in Year One and this moves up through each year group with them. This enables our learners to see a clear journey of progression in art and design. More detail can be found on the progression document.
Our children’s learning is further enhanced with whole school showcases. These include our annual Bowmandale’s Got Talent show, our participation in local community events such as the Barton Carnival and a yearly ‘Art Week’ in which individual and collaborative art is celebrated through Bowmandale’s Art Gallery.
We are thrilled to have been recognised for our commitment to the Arts and have now received our Artsmark Gold Award. Here are our Creative Council displaying our award with pride.
Bowmandale’s Creative Council are a group of Key Stage 2 children who help the adults in school promote the love of the Arts in school and across the wider community. They meet regularly with our Art, DT and Music leads - Mrs Simpson, Miss Dunkerley and Mrs Smith, to plan and take part in different types of events.